An Ultimate Guide: Modafinil For Depression
|Modafinil is a medication that has not only three medical uses – Narcolepsy, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, and Shift Work Disorders but also off-label uses like Depression, ADHD, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, etc.|
Modafinil is a prescription medication that helps treat Narcolepsy, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, and Shift Work Disorders. Along with the On-label Uses, it has some Off-label Uses like- Depression, ADHD, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Cognitive Enhancement, etc.
Now, The question arises: Is Modafinil effective for Depression?
This Blog contains all the details about Modafinil for Depression.
What is Modafinil?
Modafinil is a central nervous system stimulant that helps to treat Sleep disorders.
It is a medication invented by French Neuroscientists Michel Jouvet and L.Lafon Laboratories in the 1970s.
It is a prescription-based medication that belongs to Schedule IV Controlled Substances.
The FDA approved the use of the medication in 1998.
Teva Pharmaceuticals manufactures Modafinil.
What are the Uses of Modafinil?
The primary three medical uses of Modafinil are –
- Narcolepsy – A Chronic neurological disorder that causes a non-restorative Sleep Cycle.
Modafinil helps in the restoration of the Sleep Cycle.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea– A Sleep disorder that blocks the air pathways. It causes fragmentation of the Sleep Cycle. Modafinil helps in the regulation of the Sleep Cycle
- Shift Work Sleep Disorder– It is found among people working non-traditional hours. This disorder obstructs their sleep cycle and prevents them from staying active at work.
Modafinil helps regulate the sleep cycle and keeps the workers active throughout their Work Cycle.
6 notable off-label Uses of Modafinil are-
- Modafinil for ADHD- a neurodevelopmental disorder that results in impulsive behaviors in Childhood.
- Brain functioning- Modafinil helps in Cognitive Enhancement and increases your memory power.
- Modafinil for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome- A disease characterized by profound fatigue and Sleep abnormalities.
- Modafinil for Depression- A mood disorder that suddenly results in losing interest in everything.
- Modafinil for Jet Lag- It is a condition that causes daytime fatigue.
- Modafinil for Studying- Students use it for studying and securing good grades.
Many Studies have found Modafinil effective in treating the problems mentioned above. However, we are going to discuss Modafinil for Depression in this blog.
Benefits Of Modafinil
- Modafinil is a nootropic that has a low potential for Abuse.
- It is Cost-efficient. Modalert, the brand drug of Modafinil, is available at $1.25 at Mymodalert pharmacy. Buy Modalert 200 at the best price today for free shipping and assured discounts on all orders.
- Modafinil helps in Cognitive Enhancement and increases your memory power.
Does Modafinil help with Depression?
Depression is a mood disorder that causes a feeling of sadness and loss of interest in everything.
As mentioned above, One of the Off-label Uses of Modafinil is for Depression.
According to a Study by MA Menza and others, it was laid down that Modafinil is a drug that acts as an augmenter of anti-depressants, especially in patients diagnosed with excessive tiredness and fatigue .
Another Study by Frye Grunze H and Others showed that Modafinil effectively treats the symptoms of Bipolar Depression.
How Does Modafinil Work?
Modafinil’s working mechanism occurs through various neurotransmitters like Histamine, Serotonin, Dopamine, and Orexin. These neurotransmitters inhibit Gaba, which then reduces the excessive sleepiness and helps in activation throughout the day.
How Long Does it Take to Work?
Modafinil starts its Onset of Action within 30 minutes after consumption.
The effects of the medication last up to 12-15 hours, also called the half-life (the duration taken by a medicine to reduce by half).
Modafinil Dosage Regimen
The Modafinil dosage might vary from patient to patient. However, the standard recommended dosage for Modafinil is 200mg/day. The medication is only suggested for people above 16 years of age.
The Dosage generally varies from factors like-
- Medical history that includes problems like kidney and liver dysfunction, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc .
Modafinil Dosage For Depression
Modafinil Dosage for Depression might vary from person to person. However, the dosage strength might range from 100-200mg/day.
How To Take Modafinil for Depression?
There are specific points to remember while consuming Modafinil for Depression.
- Modafinil comes in tablet form, and you must swallow the tablet with a glass of water. You should not crush or chew the tablet.
- You can take the medicine with or without food as the doctor prescribes.
- Modafinil should be taken at the same time regularly for better effectiveness.
- If, in any circumstance, you miss a Modafinil dose for Depression, you should take it immediately. If the following dose approaches, you can skip the missed dose and follow your regular dosage Schedule .
Is It Safe To Take Modafinil Daily For Depression?
Modafinil is a controlled substance that belongs to Schedule IV of the Controlled Substances Act. It has a low potential for abuse.
It is safe to take Modafinil regularly for Depression for up to 4 weeks, per your health experts’ recommended dosage and guidelines.
Consuming more Modafinil or overlapping the doses might lead to an Overdose.
Again, Overdose might have several symptoms like-
- Headache- A sudden discomfort or pain caused in the head or face area.
- Dizziness- It is a feeling that might cause you to feel faint, dizzy, weak, or unsteady
- Anxiety- Excessive Intense fear about everyday situations.
- Agitation is a situation of inner restlessness and extreme motor activity.
- Tremors- A neurological condition that includes shaking or trembling in any body part.
- Dystonia is a movement disorder that causes the muscles to contract involuntarily.
Customer Reviews on Modafinil For Depression
The Customer Reviews from Drugs.com on Modafinil For Depression might help you to choose Modafinil for Depression.
I have been suffering from Depression since I was 15 years old. Modafinil is a medication that works like magic.
Modafinil acts as a Wonder Drug for me .
Modafinil For Depression: Conclusion
Modafinil, under the brand name Modalert, Provigil, etc., is effective for off-label uses like Depression, ADHD, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, etc. Though the dosage might vary, 100-200 mg of Modafinil per day is effective for the symptoms of Depression.
Can Modafinil be Used for Depression?
Can Modafinil Improve Mood?
Does Modafinil reduce stress?
Is Modafinil Used For Mental Health?
Does Modafinil treat Anxiety?
Modafinil, Oral Route, Mayo Clinic
Modafinil uses, doses, precautions, Side Effects, WebMd